During Spring 2015, a group of friends and I will be touring the entire east coast from Key West, Florida to Bar Harbor, Maine, approximately 2,500 miles in total, following the Atlantic Coast route created by the Adventure Cycling Association. This will be a self contained fully loaded bike tour which means I'll be carrying around 45 lbs. or so. I'm looking forward to experiencing the east coast like never before. With this blog, I plan to post pictures as we progress using the BlogPress APP on my mobile phone. Let's see how it goes and wish me luck. On a bike tour such as this, our daily challenges and not necessarily in this order, will be our physical condition, food, shelter, traffic, navigation, and weather. The above picture was taken during my Southern Tier crossing of the U.S. in spring of 2008. Bike touring requires a specific mind set and a passion.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day Five of Riding

The sight of nine loaded bicyclist in the streets and at local businesses garners a lot of attention so we have been peppered with questions, amazement, admiration, disbelief, well wishes, and occasional head shakes by interested locals, much more than the periodic honks from passing vehicles irritated by our presents on crowded streets which sometimes lack adequate bike lanes. Survival on the busy streets means being cautious, attentive, and at times, aggressive; do not cross the path of a driver until you see the whites of their eyes. I have to commend ACA, for the most part, for great route planning through often densely populated regions, putting us whenever possible, on quiet roads through lovely neighborhoods, be it modest homes or over the top designs out of Architectural Digest, or through rural landscapes. So far, the most noteworthy glimpse of South Floridian life we have witnessed has been its connection to water and the sea. Today's ride was 66 miles ending in cabins within Jonathan Dickinson State Park. I'm tired by the end of the day, but what a ride. I'll post more pictures when I get faster wifi service.












































Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone



No comments:

Post a Comment