During Spring 2015, a group of friends and I will be touring the entire east coast from Key West, Florida to Bar Harbor, Maine, approximately 2,500 miles in total, following the Atlantic Coast route created by the Adventure Cycling Association. This will be a self contained fully loaded bike tour which means I'll be carrying around 45 lbs. or so. I'm looking forward to experiencing the east coast like never before. With this blog, I plan to post pictures as we progress using the BlogPress APP on my mobile phone. Let's see how it goes and wish me luck. On a bike tour such as this, our daily challenges and not necessarily in this order, will be our physical condition, food, shelter, traffic, navigation, and weather. The above picture was taken during my Southern Tier crossing of the U.S. in spring of 2008. Bike touring requires a specific mind set and a passion.

Friday, May 1, 2015

Delta to Reamstown

Another scenic day, our first in Pennsylvania riding from Delta to Reamstown, but it was a "pick your poison" kind of ride with the choices being lots of steep climbs on quiet roads, overused two lane country roads, or a little of both. To give you a perspective on the climbs, I'm estimating that we climbed 3,000 feet in the first 30 miles this morning and probably hit grades of 20%, all on mostly quiet roads however. For the rest of the day, we encountered stretches of busy two lane country roads with all matter of cars, trucks, buses, and 18 wheelers; but most of the two lane roads were just busy enough to keep me from being completely relaxed due to regular intervals of passing vehicles. Too bad because the countryside of Pennsylvania would be gorgeous for riding minus the traffic. Today, we also rode through regions known for the Amish and Mennonite communities. Total for day was 67 miles with 5,000 feet of gain. My legs are shot.


Amish on road.


Rain possible in the afternoon.




















Bill needs a break after the 20% grade.








Flowering Peach.
































Amish farm.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like a really nice journey Herb. I really enjoy your photos. Nick

    ReplyDelete